New regulations require that some individuals providing direct services to VR customers register with the AHCA Care Provider Background Screening Clearinghouse and submit to and pass a Level 2 background screening.
Current VR service providers required to comply with these requirements include:
- Certified Business Training Assistance and Consultation (CBTAC) providers
- Employment, Supported Employment, and Employment Network providers
- Personal Care Assistants
- Rehabilitation Technology providers (adaptive computer, building contractor, driver rehabilitation, and contract providers)
- Vocational Evaluators
- Work Incentive Planning and Assistance (WIPA)
Providers submitting applications for the vendor types above will be sent instructions on how to register in the clearinghouse and get their screenings following initial approval of qualifications.
REMINDER: Criminal history information cannot be communicated via email. Any criminal history documents requested by VR should be faxed or sent via USPS.
Background Screening Regulations
Background Screening Instruction Guides
NOTE: To reach the Background Screening Clearinghouse, visit https://apps.ahca.myflorida.com/SingleSignOnPortal
Background Screening Clearinghouse Training Videos
- Accessing the Care Provider Background Screening
- Introduction to Tabs and Features
- Individual Profile and Search Page
- Initiate a New Screening
- Add or Edit Employment History
- Initiate an Agency Review
- Initiate a Resubmission
Exemption from Disqualification
In accordance with section 435.07, Florida Statutes, persons disqualified from employment may be granted an exemption from disqualification. The granting of an exemption does not change an individualís criminal history. It only provides eligibility for employment in a Vocational Rehabilitation setting. An individual seeking an exemption must demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that an exemption from disqualification should be granted. The application will be reviewed and a decision made once all relevant documentation, listed in the Exemption Form Instructions below, has been received. A person is not eligible to apply for an Exemption from Disqualification until:
- At least three (3) years have elapsed since the applicant for exemption has completed or been lawfully released from confinement, supervision or nonmonetary condition imposed by the court for all disqualifying felonies
- The applicant for the exemption has completed or been lawfully released from confinement, supervision or nonmonetary condition imposed by the court for all misdemeanors prohibited under any of the statutes cited in this chapter or under similar statutes of other jurisdictions
- The applicant has paid the court-ordered amount in full for any fee, fine, fund, lien, civil judgment, application, cost of prosecution, trust or restitution as part of the judgment and sentence for any disqualifying felony or misdemeanor
- Persons designated as sexual predators, sexual offenders or career offenders are not eligible for an Exemption from Disqualification
It is required that you initiate each new screening on the Clearinghouse Results Website located at Clearinghouse Results Website AHCA Portal Login
By initiating screenings, you not only will receive email notifications once the results are available, but you will also be notified if the applicant is subsequently arrested and/or has an eligibility status change. The Livescan Service Provider Fieldprint has many locations outside of Florida with Livescan and photo capability to have the screening entered into the Clearinghouse. Please visit Fieldprint's website to see if there is a convenient location near you.
Vendor Registration Unit
Florida Department of Education
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation